Supermicro Motherboard Fans
SuperMicro motherboard fans fall into:
- CPU fans, e.g., FAN1, FAN2, etc.
- Peripheral fans, e.g., FANA, FANB, etc.
Motherboard support the following fan modes:
- Standard: BMC control of both fan zones, with CPU zone based on CPU temp (target speed 50%) and Peripheral zone based on PCH temp (target speed 50%)
- Optimal: BMC control of the CPU zone (target speed 30%), with Peripheral zone fixed at low speed (fixed ~30%)
- Full: all fans running at 100%
- Heavy IO: BMC control of CPU zone (target speed 50%), Peripheral zone fixed at 75%
When a low rpm fan is used AND low rpm threshold is high you will observe:
- fan at full RPM
- fan rpm falls for a while